16 Jul 2013

Panic In The Writing Cave




I almost had a heart attack this afternoon, when I logged onto my blog and could not gain access. What would I do? All my hard work gone in an instant. 

I got creative. I tried a different computer, but found the same issue with login attempts. I cleared the browser's cache and powered down the machine. Then, something surprising happened. I grabbed a notepad and pen, and started sketching out a rough outline for a scene coming up later in my novel. The new novel I'm writing right now.

Without the constant distractions from computer updates flashing up on the screen - despite changing the settings several times so the updates took place when I was not actively using the computer - and without the endless time sappers - social media, email alerts, and plethora of computer system announcements, my creativity was able to flow in an untapped stream. 

For over two hours I spent time with my characters, fleshing out their back stories, and taking their stories into a new direction; one I had not even considered taking them into, had my blog not crashed.

Two hours later, having filled a casserole dish with water, puy lentils and a selection of chicken pieces, white wine, and herbs and spices, I returned to the computer and logged onto my blog.

Voila, all working fine and dandy again. Disaster averted. 

However, the reason why I could not log on successfully hours ago remained a mystery, so I did some research and uncovered a history of this error code cropping up on international computers. There was a post on a user forum in spain where one poor girl was struggling to long onto her blog for one month - that could easily be me if I am not careful.

I've created an archived backup copy of my blog, in case it all goes crashing down. Dear Reader, I value your visits so much, and advise you to backup your blogs too.

Until next time!

Tabula Rasa is published at smashwords.com and at amazon.com on July 31. For more about Ruby Binns-Cagney's books, visit Smashwords.com or Amazon.com for Kindle.

Are you battling with errors when using free platforms for your blogs?  Sound off in the comments below.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note - any comment you leave requires approval prior to being shown.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.